Finance Minister Gyanendra Bahadur Karki
KATHMANDU, September 1: Finance Minister Gyanendra Bahadur Karki today urged the prompt investment in various sectors as the country's economy has started witnessing 'positive indicators'.
"At present, country's economy is double-edged sword with both opportunities and challenges involved. We should be mindful of how benefits could be reaped from that situation. There is a need for industrialists and media to help develop country's economy," he said.
The government was working to drive the country on the path to prosperity, and congenial environment has been created for additional investment with the scope of economy widening, he said while addressing the 18th annual assembly of the Society of Economic Journalists Nepal (Sejon) in the Capital.
"There is a need to increase economic activities in the urban and rural areas as well, which will not only boost the economy, but also create job opportunities," he said.
Likewise, Nepal Rastra Bank Governor Dr Chiranjibi Nepal said conducive environment has been created for investment and the country's economy was being strengthened, while mentioning that the country's economic growth rate increased a record 6.9 percent in 23 years and the inflation rate has stood at approximately four percents in 13 years.
He also informed that financial institutions' reach has been expanded to more than 80 per cent area across the country, and that a policy has been in place to expand the institutions' access to remaining 20 percent area.
Private sector happy for building of investment-friendly atmosphere
Private sector representatives present in the meeting expressed their happiness over the building of an atmosphere of investment with the commencement of the constitution implementation process in the country, highlighting on the need of combined efforts and cooperation to find long-term improvements in the economic sector.
Vice President of Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FNCCI) Chandra Dhakal said there were government efforts behind the expansion of economic sector and creation of investment-friendly atmosphere and additional employment opportunities. In his views, collaboration among the government, private sector and communications sector would help promote internal investment and bring external investment to home.
Nepal Chamber of Commerce (NCC) President Rajeshkaji Shrestha said economic activities are gradually increasing in the country and the business communities have felt a great respite from the continuous power supply which has motivated them for further investment. According to him, the NCC is ready to go ahead in cooperation with journalists looking after the economic beat.
President of Confederation of Nepal Industries (CNI), Haribhakta Sharma said they are ready to cooperate with all concerned in efforts meant for promoting the economic sector.
Voting begins for SEJON new leadership
A voting has commenced for the election of a new leadership of the SEJON. An election committee has been constituted under a convenorship of former President of Federation of Nepali Journalists (FNJ), Suresh Acharya, to conduct the voting. Pushpa Raj Acharya and Modnath Dhakal are in the race for the post of president while Ramraja Shrestha and Prabhat Bhattarai (vice president), Bheem Gautam, Anujraj Dhungel and Janardan Baral (general secretary), Sujan Oli and Nabin Aryal (secretary) and Saraswoti Dhakal and Bhagawat Bhattarai ( treasurer) have filed their candidacies. RSS