Guwahati, Sep 11 : Assam state BJP fired a salvo at Prateek Hajela, the NRC State Coordinator, for his suggestion to the Supreme Court to drop five key documents from the list of claims and objections process.
BJP’s Assam unit lashed out at the NRC State Coordinator after his submission before the Supreme Court and suggested to drop five key documents out of 15 documents listed for inclusion the names in the updation process of the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
“We urged the both Union and State government to look into the matter seriously. The matter was also discussed in our national executive meeting and finally decided that, the Union and State government will file affidavit before the Supreme Court for not dropping the key documents,” Assam BJP president Ranjit Kumar Dass said.
“We would like to ask Prateek Hajela, who gave him the authority to make such a submission. Whom did he talk with,” Ranjit Kumar Dass said.
The Assam BJP unit president further said that, Assam BJP had already discussed the matter with BJP president Amit Shah, Union Home minister Rajnath Singh and the national executive had taken a resolution that, none of genuine Indian citizens shall not be left out from the final roll of NRC.
Assam BJP raised question regarding Prateek Hajela’s submission in the Supreme Court to drop five key documents out of the declared 15 documents without discussing with the concerned stakeholders.
The five documents that Hajela sought to be excluded are - the 1951 NRC, voter lists up to March 24, 1971, citizenship certificates, refugee registration certificates and ration cards issued prior to March 24, 1971.
Over 40 lakh people have been left out from the complete draft of NRC published on July 30.
On the other hand, Assam BJP unit president said that, the Union and State government will submit affidavit before the Supreme Court by September 19 next.
(By Hemanta Kumar Nath, Guwahati)