Guwahati, Jan 12 : The high-powered committee formed by the Union Home Ministry to look into the implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord of 1985 has hit troubled from beginning after six of the nine members of the committee including former bureaucrat M P Bezbaruah, who is head of the committee have refused to be a part of it.
M P Bezbaruah, who head of the high-powered committee formed by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on January 7 has sent a letter to the MHA and refused to head the government nominated committee.
Former Union Tourism Secretary M P Bezbaruah said that, he had already conveyed his decision to the MHA.
“When the representatives of the civil society have refused to be part of the government nominated committee, it is untenable for me to continue it,” M P Bezbaruah said.
Bezbaruah is the sixth member of the high-powered committee, who refused to join in the panel.
The MHA on January 7 had formed a high-powered committee headed by retired IAS officer MP Bezbaruah to look into the implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord of 1985.
The Committee includes retired IAS officer Subhash Das, former president of Asom Sahitya Sabha Dr Nagen Saikia, journalist Dhiren Bezbaruah, Assam Attorney General Ramesh Borpatragohain, educationalist Dr Mukuna Rajbangshi, former president of Asom Sahitya Sabha Rongbong Terang, joint secretary of MHA and a representative of All Assam Students’ Union (AASU).
But recently, its member Dr Nagen Saikia, Rongbong Terang, Mukunda Rajbangshi, Dhiren Bezbaruah and a nominee of the influential All Assam Students' Union (AASU) had quit the panel.
The Union Cabinet had on January 2 approved the setting up of the committee.
The committee was formed as per a Union cabinet decision to pacify the people’s furor over the controversial Citizenship Amendment Bill, 2016.