Guwahati, September 19 : Assam government announced ex gratia of Rs 5 lakh paid to be the next kin of those dead and Rs 50,000 each to the injured persons in Kaziranga incident on Monday where two people killed and several injured including 14 police personnel in clash between a mob and security personnel during the eviction drive by Nagaon district administration in the World heritage site.
The incident happened when Nagaon district administration had tried to vacate the illegal occupants inside the world heritage site following the Gauhati High Court order on Sunday morning.
The local people of Bandardubi village and members of Krishak Mukti Sangram Samittee (KMSS) had opposed the eviction drive and pelted stone to security personnel.
When situation turned violent police personnel had resorted baton charge, tear gas to disperse the mob.*
"To control the situation we were forced to resort baton charge, tear gas, firing rubber bullets which led to killing two people including a woman and injuring several others," Assam DGP Mukesh Sahai said.*
The top police official said that at least 14 police personnel also injured in mob attack.
Following the untoward situation, a high level meeting called by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal held at Brahmaputra guest house.*
We will continue eviction drive in Kaziranga to save the world heritage site from illegal encroachment,â€Â Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said.
The Gauhati High Court had ordered to vacate the illegal occupants from Kaziranga National Park last year and the administration also issued notice to the people of three villages which situated inside the world heritage site last month to vacate the site immediately.
Meanwhile former Assam CM Tarun Gogoi and Congress had blamed to the BJP led state government for the untoward situation in Kaziranga.
On the other hand, Krishak Mukti Sangram Samittee demanded a CBI probe into the incident.
(Reporting by Hemanta Kumar Nath)